Living and Working in South East Asia

Non Immigrant IB Visa

Non Immigrant IB Visa Thailand

Non Immigrant IB Visa Thailand

First, I would like to explain on what grounds a Non Immigrant IB Visa is being issued by any Royal Thai Consulate outside Thailand.

Non-Immigrant Visa Category “IB” (Investment and Business Visa)  is issued to foreign citizens employed to work on  investment projects which are under the auspices of the Board of Investment of Thailand (BOI).  Such projects must be involved in or bring benefit to Thailand in the following ways:
– Export-promotion
– Increasing employment
– Utilizing local raw materials
– Projects engaging the provinces
– Encouraging technology transfer to Thai nationals
– Not hindering existing domestic businesses”

If the company has been approved by the BOI as such they may apply for a work permit for you.

The Visa can only be obtained outside the Thailand at any Royal Thai Embassy with Consular Services. You must leave the country in order to have your current Visa waived.

Here is a list of documents you will need to present whilst applying for the Visa:

Passport or travel document with validity of not less than 6 months.
– Completed visa application form.
– Recent passport-sized photograph (4 x 6 cm) of the applicant taken within the  past 6 months.
– Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family). ( In my case whist applying for the Visa this has not been checked at all)
– Corporate documents of hiring company in Thailand such as:
1) business registration and business license
2) list of shareholders
3) company profile
4) details of business operation
5) list of foreign workers stating names, nationalities and positions
6) map indicating location of the company
7) balance sheet, statement of Income Tax and Business Tax (Por Ngor Dor 50 and Por Ngor Dor 30 of the latest year)
8) value-added tax registration (Por Por 20)

The cost of the Non Immigrant IB Visa is ฿ 2000 and – you might have guessed – is non refundable in case of rejection.

Once the Visa has been granted you have to make use of it within 90 days. Upon entry into the Kingdom, applicant or his or her appointed representatives must apply for a work permit at the Office of Foreign Workers Administration, Department of Employment, Ministry of Labour in which the applicant will be obligated to pay income tax accordingly.  If the applicant’s associated company is located in the provinces, the applicant must apply at the Employment Office of that province.

Please find more information regarding work permit in Thailand here.

It take usually 7-10 days for it to be issued.

The Non Immigrant IB Visa is valid for a maximum of one year but linked to the  end date of your employment contract. After three month of entering the Kingdom you will need to visit the local Immigration Office in order to extend your Visa. This only has be done once. If your employment contract is for one year, you will now get an extension for another nine month. During that period you will not have to worry about Immigration  at all except for the 90 Days Notification and, if you like to leave Thailand, for a Re Entry Permit.

In case you need to apply for a work permit in Chiang Mai, please find the location of the relevant Department here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Currency Converter